Hey there, Zombie-slaying Samurai!
Sensei Toku hosted a kick-ass webinar full of useful tools and tactics for creating a powerful Open to your coaching session. Below you’ll find a replay of the webinar (including a special bonus “after party” where Toku answers some additional viewer questions), the PDF of the slide deck, a list of highlights from the session, and a resource list of dope stuff for when you’re ready to dive deeper.
- [1:51] What is the Samurai Coaching Dojo?
- [2:28] Who is Sensei Toku?
- [3:45] Presentation Flow
- [5:02] What’s the first thing you do in a coaching conversation? (the Samurai answer)
- [6:20] Intro to the Coaching Canvas (Open-Drop-Shift-Close)
- [8:38] What makes a great Open? (overview of the three Cs: Connection, Context, Container)
- [12:07] Samurai question: how do you set context?
- [13;47] Top 5 mistakes coaches make in the Open
- [14:24] 1. Why are you coaching?
- [17:05] 2. Am I going to do it right? (What if I say something dumb? What if I run out of time? What if I suck?)
- [18:32] The distinction between performance and morality
- [21:25] There is no “right way” to coach
- [21:56] 3. Crappy containers
- [23:38] “The Regular Container” (no map)
- [24:13] “The Master Container” (hella dope map)
- [28:27] Most coaches rush through creating the container
- [30:20] 4. You don’t trust yourself / the client
- [33:52] 5. Lack of Leadership (Control vs. Abdication; leading vs. holding)
- [38:26] How to Practice (Start with a basic model)
- [38:42] Start with Connection
- [39:35] How to connect with a new client
- [40:52] Context
- [41:50] Set the Container
- [42:10] Four Agreements
- [43:20] Deeper Practice (Observation, Reflection, Experimentation) and how this works in the Dojo
- [46:30] How to work with us (Coaching Dojo, Sales Dojo, Alumni-only Samurai Circle, 1:1 Coaching, Other)
- [48:25] Live Q&A
- [54:55] After Party Q&A
- The Coaching Canvas
- The ODSC (Open-Drop-Shift-Close) video series: Introduction, Open #1
- ODSC #3, Agreements